For physician practices, hospitals and all healthcare organizations, streamlining yourrevenue cycle managementis critical. One of the best ways to recoup payments faster is with up-front Medicare eligibility checks. With the changes in the Affordable Care Act, patient responsibility is often in play and healthcare organizations who can communicate effectively with patients about how to pay for their medical treatment will be more successful at collecting full payments. At ABILITY Network, we offer a quick and easy way to check Medicare status online.
Why checking Medicare status is important
Medical benefits are always changing so it’s important to check the Medicare status of your patients often whether it’s for prescription drugs or a specific procedure. This can cause a strain on some physician practices, care facilities, hospitals and other healthcare organizations. Save staff time and resources and quickly determine Medicare status withABILITY CHOICE Medicare Eligibility. With 24/7 access to Medicare’s HETS database, your staff will be able to gather real-time, detailed eligibility status and medical benefit information, allowing you to:
- Receive payments faster by verifying Medicare eligibility at the beginning of patient care
- Reduce staff workload
- Quickly identify Medicare replacement plans and secondary payers
- Reduce denied claims with upfront identification of Medicare supplement or Medicare Advantage plans
How often should you check Medicare eligibility?
It’s important to check your patient’s Medicare eligibility throughout their course of treatment. Working with an information technology company likeABILITYcan help reduce the time spent completing these frequent Medicare status checks. At the very minimum, you should check Medicare status:
- The first time the patient reaches out to you for medical service
- Before any submission of a home health request for anticipated payment (RAP)
- Before any submission of a hospice notice of election (NOE)
- Before every claim submission
What information do you need to check Medicare status?
To check Medicare eligibility, you must have the following patient information:
- First and last name
- Medicare Beneficiary Identification number (MBI)
- Date of birth (month, day, 4-digit year)
What can you communicate to patients with a Medicare eligibility check?
Communicating often and effectively with patients is key to receiving complete payment for medical services in a timely manner. Being able to check Medicare status quickly and often will allow you to know and communicate to patients:
- The deductible amount they have remaining for the year
- Information about their primary insurance if Medicare is the secondary payer
- Any patient-enrolled Managed Care Organization (MCO) or Health Maintenance Organization (HMO)
- That status checking is 100% HIPAA compliant
Let ABILITY help with your Medicare eligibility checks
No matter the size your practice or healthcare organization, ABILITY can help simplify complex revenue cycle management processes with the latest data-driven applications. You can count on us to optimize reimbursements and the quality of care you offer.Request a demoofABILITY CHOICE Medicare Eligibilitytoday. We look forward to helping your organization grow!